Bond County Historical Society
Bond County – A Brief History
Before Illinois became a territory in 1809, the first settlers arrived in Bond County in 1806. This family was the Reeves family and they were followed shortly by the Greene family. The first “community” was Jones’ Fort built before 1808. It was later renamed Greene’s Fort. Hill’s Fort was established around 1811 by Samuel Hill. It was established as the county seat for four months until a sight near Hurricane Creek, know as Perrysville, was chosen for the permanent seat. This was also the sight of the first election in Bond County.