Sites

Greenville Historical Sites
Information On Historical Sites in Greenville

Isaac Cox Massacre Memorial  The monument commemorating the massacre of Issac Cox, son of Jessie Cox, killed by Indians June 12, 1811 is located north of Pocahontas on the Pocahontas Road and east on Cox Monument Avenue
Hills Fort Massacre & DAR Monument w/
Ranger Grave Stones
 Hills Fort was built on one acre about 1811 in what is now Mills Township.  On September 4, 1814, four rangers were killed.  Located on Millersburg Road and Hills Fort Avenue.
Ripley Town Site – First town in Bond County  Was founded in 1818 by Elazarum E. R. Wheelock, who named it after his uncle, General E.C. Ripley.  At one time, it was a bidder for the Illinois State Capitol site.
Saline Springs and Well on Shoal Creek “The Old Lick Ford” on Shoal Creek was named for its saline content and was the location of Bond County’s salt works.  The wells were located in Section 32, Shoal Creek Township.
Ripson Bridge Built in 1895, Ripson Bridge is the last pony truss bridge in Bond County.  The Sorento Homecoming Association took over the bridge as a historic landmark and is now a walking bridge.
Fifth Street Lincoln Monument In 1858, Abraham Lincoln came to Greenville and spoke in Colcord’s Grove.  The spot where he spoke is marked by this monument on Fifth Street and was erected by the Benjamin Mills Chapter, DAR on September 13, 1935.
Mt. Nebo Baptist Church The church was organized February 2, 1823 at the home of John Coyle by Rev. Peter Long and Thomas Smith.  In 1835, a log house was built.  In 1845, a frame building was erected and in 1881, a new building was constructed and is the present place of worship.
Mt. Gilead Cumberland Presbyterian Church Organized by Rev. Knight in 1823, this was the first church built of logs.  In 1867, the present building was erected.  Ground for the church was entered and deeded by James Johnson and his wife.
Bethel Presbyterian Church Began its existence on September 15, 1825, when the original church, which was organized in 1819. was divided into three churches.  The location of the first church is marked by a monument in the center of Bethel Cemetery.
Perryville – Second County Seat in Bond County In 1817, the county seat was fixed at Hills Fort until a permanent location could be chosen.  On April 17, 1817, a site on the west bank of Hurricane Creek was platted and named Perryville.
Bond County Genealogical Society  Was founded in 1981 and houses a large genealogical collection in the basement of the Public Library.
Almira College Founded in 1855 and chartered in 1857 in honor of Almira Morse as a women’s college.  In 1892, it was purchased by the Central Conference of the Free Methodist Church and is now known as Greenville College.
Greenville Carnegie Library The Ladies Library Association was organized in 1855.  In 1902, the contacted Andrew Carnegie and once construction was completed, the Library was dedicated on August 4, 1905.
Old National Road Cut 
Shiloh Monument  This monument was erected in 1903 by the Bond County Soldier’s Association as a memorial to those who served from Bond County in the Civil War.
Veterans Memorial In August 1989, the memorial to 36 veterans who served in early American wars was completed. On Memorial Day 1990, the memorial was dedicated in Lansing Cemetery.

Information for this page was provided by the Bond County Genealogical Society
with special thanks to Nelda & Dean Anthony.